Thursday 26 April 2012

Technique with transparencies

Hmmmm, transparency's. We all love them, but they really are so one dimensional aren't they?! So I really had to think out of the circle for this one. First one was adhering, lets try something different from gluing down, into sewing at the moment, so lets try that! And it worked, giving the transparency a new dimension. Simple Stories have this gorgeous baby range called Baby Steps, and do co-ordinating 6x4 transparencies.

Another embellishment I'm into at the moment, as you would've seen from my other posts, is making rosettes with the Tim Holtz die. I cut the transparency in half length ways and hot glued the ends together making sure to do so on patterned areas so the glue would not show. Also add glue to the centre of the rosette to ensure it stays together.



 I wasn't sure how the plastic would go through the die, but after securing the transparency to the die with double sided tape, I put the die through the cuttlebug several times until it had cut through. A bit of added pressure was needed here so I added a layer or 2 of cardstock to the B plates. Once cut, fold along the scoring as though making a fan. To attach the two ends together you can use hot glue, though I did have problems with this, or a wee bit of double sided tape, again in a patterned area to disguise the adhesive.


I then used flower punches to adhere to the middle of the rosette to cover the glued centre of the rosette. I love the way they look being clear. You could paint around the edges of these too if you wished.

I then completed the layout using Simple Stories Baby Steps Boarder and Title Strips Elements paper for my bracket, hot air balloon, and bracket strip. I curled the edges of the ledger bracket and adhered the bracket strip with foam squares for added dimension. The Little Yellow Bicycle 12 month cards worked well as a subtle layer underneath.


So I hope these techniques that I have used for the transparencies will make you think differently next time you pick up one of these pieces of acetate and think "how will I use this?" rather than just over a photo. I sure will look at them differently!


Love Belinda






4 comments:

Heidi said...

wow a CLEVER idea Belinda, definately going to try that out

l00pyscraftcreations said...

love the transparencies hun, the one you sewed is it on card or material?

Unknown said...

Hi! pleased you liked them, I have sewn straight onto the card stock.

Lainie said...

Love, love, love your flowers to bits!! Beautiful layout too!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...